THE BEAUTY OF ALCOHOL; A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

I really struggled to muster up the courage to write on this topic because I know it's an area that is quite sensitive and knotty, and also because regardless of the direction of this piece, the topic will lead not a few to question my Christian faith.
However, I choose to Traverse!
About a year ago, I had my first real brush with the bad side of alcoholism:it was a beautiful Saturday night and we were all together in the house in what you'd refer to a party mood.
However, my intention was to just take a few shots of the alcoholic beverage on display just to have a feel once more:of course, this was before I got irked by something I can't really remember or which I just choose not to mention.
The moment I got angry, my very casual desire to just have a taste of alcohol turned to an unquenchable thirst and sickening desire to on the one hand, 'forget my sorrows' and on the other hand, prove myself as one whose head can 'carry' any quantity of alcohol.
I started by taking the regular glasses of the red wine on the table and as if to one one hand, show my frustrations and on the other hand,prove my worth as one who can withstand any quantity of alcohol without getting drunk, I started to mix the Red wine with whiskey.
I guess that was how I literally dug my own shallow grave as no sooner had I started to take my critically acclaimed mixture that I started to act in the weirdest of manners.
I started to yawn uncontrollably and make some rather incoherent statements.
At that point, everyone became worried and they tried all they could to remedy my "situation" to no avail; several suggestions were made as to how to get me out of my temporary insanity.
I think the peak of my self induced madness that night was the point where I fell on floor and started quoting all the cases that Dr. Arishe had taught us that Semester in Constitutional Law: I remember quoting Tony Momoh V The Senate in my drunken state and relating it to Bukola Saraki's travails as Senate President.
Of course, while I was mad, I was like "Comedy Central" for my siblings as they watched their big brother display hitherto unseen levels of insanity.
I was finally put our of my misery when my uncle took me to the bathroom and personally bathed me at my age!
Damn! I was extremely embarrassed the next Morning.
From my experience, I could admit that wine is a mocker!
But, I have not come to preach abstinence from alcohol,neither am I affirming the goodness of alcohol.
I'm indifferent to it:I still drink when the need arises but my experience on a cold September Night, last year has taught me a lot about self control and understanding my limits.
Some folks can finish a crate of alcoholic beverages and they will still be absolutely normal.
Some others like me will take a few glasses and they will go haywire.
It's all about understanding yourself and nobody can do it better than you.
So, to my friends, I have not come to glorify alcohol neither have I come to condemn it.
All I'm saying is; if you must drink, do so in the most dignified manner!
The thing in the bottle doesn't have to rule you; it doesn't have to dictate how you act; it doesn't have to be your escape route from your sorrows.
The onus is on you!

Comments

  1. Hahahaha. Conclusively, I'm the dipsomaniac that hardly gets drunk in the squad.✌😆

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Article About Nothing.

Nigeria at 56: are we cursed or are we the cause?

AHEAD OF SATURDAY: WHO DID WE OFFEND?