Eke Martins asks: "ARE WE STILL CHRISTIANS"?

Are we Christians?
Really!
Are we?
Maybe you think I am not in any position to ask this question but I think my silence will hurt me more.
I am Eke Martins, a follower of Christ, maybe not your usual kind of Christian,amongst all I am a Nigerian at least while we remain one nation,thus, I am still passionate about Nigeria.
It is no longer news the ceaseless unbearable persecution of Christians by the northerners or Fulani herdsmen or boko haram  sect as the case may be. And I feel sad and maybe more angered than you are but in my less knowledge of the Bible I do know that somewhere in Mathew 5 the Bible calls persecuted Christians blessed and says theirs is the kingdom of God and I heard the priest today in his homily quote a saint "the blood of martyrs  is the seed of Christianity "
The above needs no added sermon to explain it's meaning. In fact what needs explanation is why we have decided to make that scripture  no more than it letters as our actions seems to have a blind eye on this words.
Maybe, I am the one confusing the idea of Christianity not to be a fairy tale or maybe you wrongly think Christianity is a bed of roses. But what I do know is the words of 1peter 1:7 which brings to our consciousness the reality of our faith which shall be tested,it also creates an image of the process of gold refining through furnace,just so we know how much suffering  we must endure to get to the refined state God desires.
We are not Christians because of our actions in rising tides of prosperity but our actions amidst raging storm. Some of us have relied on self defence to say we should attack our persecutor and I must say I am compelled to agree more but then the question is "WHAT WOULD JESUS DO?".
I draw inspiration from his actions during his own prosecution where even Peter brought out a sword and chopped off the ear of a soldier and he replied in awesome love by healing the soldier and asking Peter to draw back his sword. His prayer for forgiveness on the cross remains epic. He cared less whether they had pity  on him.
I may not be a pastor or priest blessed with the knowledge  of the Bible but I do know Christ would not ask us to take arms in response to an attack even if it is legal at least relying on the international principle of self defence but I'd rather we sleep on that right than err against God.
Martyrdom is word whose close cousin is Christianity and in fact it is the criteria for the heavenly crown, little wonder the disciples and apostles of old took this path of pain with gladdened hearts and lifted spirit. 
This appears not to be the case in present time as we are letting our emotions and sentiments get the better of us by bringing our swords from its sheath and becoming just like the beast we are trying to fight against.
Why then are we Christians  if persecution scares us, how then are we Christ like?
It may not sound reasonable but do not forget that the ecclesiastical  literature says "Hold your peace and let the lord fight for you... For the battle is not yours "
Maybe you feel this situation is an extreme perhaps, you should take solace in knowing that there is no temptation given to us that He has not given us the grace to overcome.
So if indeed we are still Christians let us ask ourselves "WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? " and act thus.

By Eke Martins Eziukwu.
A final Year Law Student of the University of Benin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Article About Nothing.

Nigeria at 56: are we cursed or are we the cause?

AHEAD OF SATURDAY: WHO DID WE OFFEND?