LOSER LIKE ME.

Okay, let me start by saying that I have been a Faithful Liverpool Fan for10 years and counting.
For those who understand the dynamics of Football, you will agree with me that it takes a whole lot of long suffering and perseverance for anybody to support a Team like Liverpool that has had more than a fair share of losses for that long without losing faith.
Really, what's the essence of this introduction?
Point is that I just want to show that I have developed a thick skin to the topsy-turvies of life.
To a reasonable extent, I am a loser (I am not a loser in Jesus Name).
I have lost on many occasions: I can't guarantee that I won't lose again (the power to do that is far from me).
So, maybe I should just give a run down of one very significant defeat I have suffered in my lifetime.
Year was 2011 and I was in my penultimate year in High School (Secondary School for those of you who didn't watch American Movies or read American Novels) and I had just been appointed the Deputy Head Boy...Life was good and in my mind, it was about to get better when we received an invitation to participate in the Presidential Debate for Federal Government Colleges that year.
To be honest, I was buoyed by the prospects of going to the National Stage and making a name for myself or so I thought.
Again, I was inspired by the tales of My Big Cousin, Brother Nwachukwu's exploits in the same competition years back as told by Uncle Ngene.
Well, the customary preliminaries were held in School to choose the Representatives and of course, I was picked as one of the Debaters and also the First Speaker in the Competition.
Federal Government College, Enugu was the venue and the prospect of "networking" was also appealing.
Competition Date "arrived" and I led my school to Enugu in what was a rather interesting journey as the School showed the team such great care that was strange to us.
We were paired against Federal Government Girls College, Umuahia and that was the end of a happy stay in Enugu.
There's this thing about female debaters (most of them are not brilliant at all but the way they cram and deliver whatever thing their Teacher gives them is amazing to say the least) and it is that if you don't know your onions, they will make you pee in your boxers with their Outer space Gesticulations.
These Girls were plain intimidating!
In my small mind, their School Uniform was the best thing since Sliced bread while Ours was just too local to even compete. In fact, when I compared their School Uniform with ours, we were no where close to competing with them.
The confidence of the girls was intimidating and honestly, I lost it before I even said a word.
When the time to speak came, I put up my very worst public performance till date... It's not like I didn't speak well though : I just couldn't make what can be referred as logical points...In fact, I was disastrous and before I could say the customary "I believe that with these few points of mine, I have been able to confuse you... ", I knew it would require a Miracle of some sort to help us overcome the Girls from Umuahia.
Well, my Friend, Jasper did his best to salvage the situation but my failure cost us qualification to the next stage.
I was massively disappointed in myself and I wept openly before a strange audience that cared less about my wounded pride.
That's the end of the story!
I have lost many more competitions in life but never have I been as disastrous and as embarrassing as I was in Enugu in 2011.
Like I have consistently maintained, I am not a standard for overturning losses but I am consistent in my message of perseverance and Hardwork.
We don't (and we won't always) always win but with Hardwork and Determination, we can lose less and win more.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol 😂😂
    Funny and inspiring as well.
    Nice piece 😎

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Article About Nothing.

Nigeria at 56: are we cursed or are we the cause?

AHEAD OF SATURDAY: WHO DID WE OFFEND?