Edo State Guber Polls: An Ever Present Need For A Third Force.

I don't think that I've ever been divided within me about writing a piece as I am about this one.
Should I write or should I not write?
Anyways, I traverse!
Barring any last minute "boju boju", the Edo State Governorship election will come up tomorrow, the 28th of September, 2016.
And that is the source of my dilemma: I really don't know whom to support or if I should support any.
Should I support The PDP candidate, Pastor Osagie Ize Iyamu who happens to be a UNIBEN Law graduate and who is immensely popular among some of my folks or should I support the APC Candidate, Godwin Obaseki who is the anointed of incumbent Governor Adams Oshiomhole.
Really, I doubt my stakes in the election: I'm not even from Edo State but perhaps, it won't hurt to lend my voice.
The PDP candidate I hear is thoroughly grounded in the Politics of Edo State and he has an in depth knowledge of the internal workings of Government, and to that end, would make a perfect fit for the office of Governor.
He has a very strong chance of emerging victorious at the polls basically as a result of the perceived poor performance of the incumbent in his second tenure in office.
A lot of people have criticized Governor Oshiomhole of being too relaxed, authoritarian and corrupt in his second term after what has been described as a flawless first term in office.
To that end, it won't be surprising if the people decide to revolt against him by voting against anybody whom he supports.
However, this outcome should normally be the case if the the allegations against his tenure are true and if the accusers are any better.
Prior to my first visit to Benin City in 2013, I had read about the "uncommon transformation and rebirth" occasioned by Oshiomhole's, exemplary leadership in Edo State: I remember one little boy quipping that Oshiomhole had turned their State to "America".
When I finally went to Benin for the first time, I was roundly disappointed by what I saw in relation to what I had come to believe.
Benin was no "America"!
It wasn't even close!
Benin was at best, just average!
However, on a second thought, I reasoned that since virtually everyone was praising Oshiomhole's work in Benin City and Edo State as a whole, then Edo State must have been really messed up before he came.
This means that prior to his coming, the Government of the day was a complete disaster.
Now, the supposed popular candidate, Ize Iyamu was very prominent in the frustratingly disastrous Government that preceded Oshiomhole's regime.
This means that he was part of the Government that is regarded by many as the worst Thing that has happened to Edo State.
On the other hand, Godwin Obaseki of the APC has been a part of the Government that has been described in so many quarters as the best in the history of Edo State.
For me, Governor Oshiomhole has at best, been mediocre but he is only being praised because his "Average" is better than the "Fail" of his preceding administration.
On the choice before the Edo people as they go to the polls tomorrow, I think it's a choice between two candidates who represent two different Governments with opposite achievements in office.
Unfortunately, it's a choice between "Average" and "Poor".
The people deserve better than what they are getting!
They deserve to be given the opportunity to choose from two "Excellent" candidates.
Again, the choice is for the people to make but the choices before them are less than desirable!
In the end, I'm not excited about the election because of the shortcomings of the candidates but in the absence of a candidate that exemplifies "Excellence", they should choose one who represents "Average" rather than "Poor".
Above all, the solution to Nigeria's problems is neither the APC nor the PDP!
Our problems will be solved by the rise of a "third force" that will take us from the misery of choosing between "Average" candidates and "Awful" candidates and afford us the luxury and beautiful problem of choosing between excellent candidates.
As Edo decides tomorrow, the choice is for the people to make!

Comments

  1. The Choice is of the people.
    I think at least a candidate who can speak for himself is a better choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! "Speak for himself". Can that candidate speak for the people?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Article About Nothing.

Nigeria at 56: are we cursed or are we the cause?

AHEAD OF SATURDAY: WHO DID WE OFFEND?