Some Ministers will not have Portfolios; President Buhari.





Well, before I let you read. I guess its apt for me to air my legal opinion on this one; Like someone rightly argued, the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria in S.147(1) clearly states that "There shall be such OFFICES as ministers of the Government of the federation as may be established by the President".
For me, the highlighted says it all; the office the minister is assigned to handle is his portfolio, and this is constitutionally guaranteed.
This section does not say "there will be a person who will be called minister". The section as a whole clearly talks about the office of minister to be ran by the person of a minister. 
I mean, what is the essence of having a minister without an office?
Man, that's childish. Any attempt to have some ministers without any portfolio is placing the Government at the risk of litigation.

President Buhari has restated his earlier position that some of the screened ministers will not be getting any portfolio in the yet to be constituted cabinet. President Buhari had earlier stated this in an interview with Channels TV in India last week. He restated his position today while receiving the list of screened and confirmed ministers from Senate President Saraki this afternoon
"The constitution certainly said there must be one member of the cabinet from all the states but the constitution did not say I must have 36 ministries so I will exploit that detail because of the economic imperative to have lots of ministers, substantive ministers, let me put it that way..."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Article About Nothing.

Nigeria at 56: are we cursed or are we the cause?

AHEAD OF SATURDAY: WHO DID WE OFFEND?